Re: book press rust

Any of the Rustoleum paints would do.  The spray cans are particularly
user-friendly--unlike some of the cheaper brands that spray everywhere
except where you want to paint.  Personally, I would use the
Hammertone spray because it looks nice and will help hide the pitting
from the rust.  That is what I intend to use on a Kwikprint that I'm
restoring.

A wire brush (or angle grinder w/ wire wheel), a coat of Rustoleum
primer and a couple of the topcoat of your choice should do nicely.
Don't spray the threads or the joint with the platten.  Clean them
with WD-40, lighter fluid, brake cleaner, etc. and a tooth brush.
Coat with a generous amount of molybdenum grease after reassembly.

Like yours, the surfaces on my letter press are rusted and uneven.  I
also use a layer of old davey board above and below whatever book or
cover is in the press.  I know that the press' previous owner used
sheets of masonite in the same way.

Chad

--
Chad Longley