Re: book press rust

Light rust, fine sand paper.

Deep, pitted rust you can try a variety of methods. Try some Naval Jelly. You put it on for 10-15 minutes then scrub it off, rust included.

What you might want to do if the surface is uneven is get some J+B Weld sold at any hardware store and fill in the holes, prime then paint. If you are using spray paint, Rustoleum is good. Just be sure to prime it first using an appropriate primer.

Annabel wrote:
Hi all,

I have acquired an old book press from our local antique store (I'd
rather say "barn" :). It looks pretty much like this one:
http://www.dargate.com/247_auction/247_images/288.jpg

It is in decent condition, but there's some rust on the sides and
unfortunately on the platen, where it is rather deep and makes the
surface uneven. I wish to paint it somehow so that I could use the
press. I don't care if it won't look historically accurate after
painting :)
Hence, I have some questions:

1. What's the best way to clean it before painting?
2. Which paint is good? I've read about rustoleum here on the list,
but I am not sure which rustoleum (tm) product to use.

Thanks for advice,

Annabel
Boston