Re: book press rust

You can grease it or wax it. A good tool wax like those used by woodworkers to keep their cast iron table tops from rusting works well too on screws, or just plain old bee's wax (paraffin)

Carol Pratt wrote:
I've had two that my husband took apart. He cleaned the pieces with wire brush, naval jelly, steel wool, etc. and then washed everything with thinner or mineral spirit. The screw was set aside. All other parts were primed with whatever rustoleum (probably red oxide or gray) that he had on the shelf, and then each piece was sprayed with black rustoleum paint. The screw is never painted. On reassembly the inside of the screw collar was LIGHTLY greased with something like axle grease. Only a very small amount of grease is needed, and the screw gets lubricated by moving through the collar as it is raised and lowered.

I did nothing to the platen or the table, which were never perfectly flat, except to always use masonite pressboards on each side of whatever I was pressing, ensuring a good flat surface.

Carol
Eugene, OR
=====