Re: book press rust

This is our experience in restoring book presses:

The easiest and most efficient way to clean and de-rust a book press is to
have it sandblasted.  Then, prime and paint it with a gloss oil paint.

If you have the press sandblasted, ensure that you wrap the screw well with
a strong tape, such as duct tape, so that the steel grit which is used
doesn't penetrate the threaded area.

We have found that the sandblasting does a very good job of getting all the
rust out of the interstices of the steel surfaces.  Therefore, a metal
primer and then two or three top coats of standard gloss enamel paint is
sufficient for protecting the steel.  None of our presses thus coated, have
shown any signs of rust over the decades.

For all our presses, we then have cut for us a pair of 3mm aluminium sheets,
the size of the platen.

David

Annabel