next weekend at the Center for Book Arts (NY)

Greetings-

There are still slots available in two exciting workshops happening next
weekend at the Center for Book Arts:

Mind to Matter

>From Medieval Verse to 21st Century Story & the Art of the Book

Prior to the workshop the participants (writers or aspiring writers) are
given 3 short stories in translation composed in the 13th Century Persian
language. Each participant chooses one story as a theme and writes a
contemporary variation on it. The participants also bring visuals (photos or
other images in digital format) to accompany/illustrate their story. The
first day of the workshop, each participant discusses various aspects of the
original story and how they have arrived at the variation they have written.
Then the students express how they envision their printed story should look:
font, formatting, images and binding. The text and the images of each
student are then entered into the computer and formatted to become either a
concertina or singe-signature book of 5 1/5 X 8 1/5" measurements. The
second day the students are taught and guided to create a simple book of
their stories with title pages and colophons. They will have selections of
paper or cloth for the covers and will learn fundamental principals of
bookbinding to make their volume. No prior knowledge of bookbinding
required. This is an ideal workshop for writers to begin to work with the
form of the book. Students must register by March 20th.

March 28-29, Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 4pm Zahra Partovi
$245 members /$260 non-members

Registration information available here:
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/classes/classdetail.asp?classeventID=870

Bodoni, Byron, and Bordeaux: A weekend of connoisseurship

Although most of our computers offer a default "Bodoni" font, they generally
provide little insight into the complexity and subtlety of the prolific
craftsman Giambattista Bodoni. Join printer and letter designer Russell
Maret for a lovely weekend looking at and discussing the work of this great
Romantic type designer. As a class, we will use Russell's font of Bodoni
Italic from the Bauer Foundry to set, To Ianthe, Lord Byron's prologue to
Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. We will then print a broadside of the poem on
the last of Russell's collection of 1950 vintage hand made paper from the J
Whatman mill in England. For lunch on Saturday we will be joined by Dr.
Susan Schlechter who will discuss poetic appreciation and the work of Lord
Byron in general. After clean up on Sunday, we will be joined by a couple of
gourmands for a comparative tasting of wines from the Bordeaux region and a
selection of Italian, French, and British cheeses.

March 28-29, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm      Russell Maret
$245/$260 + $15 materials fee.

Registration information available here:
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/classes/classdetail.asp?classeventID=873

You can see our complete schedule of courses through June on our website
here: http://www.centerforbookarts.org/classes/

Next weekend is also your last chance to see our current exhibitions Artists
Books as (Sub)Culture, Featured Artist Projects Jacqueline Rush Lee:
INTROspective and A Poet Speaks: Zahra Partovi.

Sarah Nicholls

Program Manager

The Center for Book Arts

28 W. 27th Street 3rd floor