Beeswax Alternatives

Hello list,

I'm thinking about alternatives to beeswax for waxing linen thread. I've heard that one vegan bookbinder uses microcystalline wax. However, I'd quite like to avoid petroleum products, so I'm thinking about plant-derived substances. I used to play the cello and used rosin on my bows - I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience or opinions on using this in bookbinding, or has some ideas for alternatives.

Many thanks,
Susan

Susan Green
www.susangreenbooks.co.uk