Re: Book Cloth Recommendation Sought

Jane,

I think Cialux is a good choice, with regards to the parameters you outline.
However I would also recommend the Canapetta Bookcloth.  It is a bit more
textured (more like a natural finish buckram) so it may not fare as well in
terms of your dusting requirement, however I would consider it for other
reasons.  It is made of a cotton/linen blend and much more durable than the
Cialux.  The texture helps hide marks from abrasion, where as the smooth
uniform surface of the Cialux will show many more marks over time.  Also if
you get a spot of glue on the Cialux or other similar types of fabrics
during fabrication they are painfully obvious; this would not be the case
with the Canapetta.

Sage Reynolds who is a teacher at the Center For Book Arts here in NY
recommends it widely to his students since it is so hard wearing, elegant,
and easy to work with.  It's a really nice material.

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
330 Morgan Ave