Re: Beeswax Alternatives-Rosin

And beeswax is something the bees naturally make and then discard when the season is over. No bees are harmed during its use. : )

Kathy G

On Mar 27, 2009, at 2:39 AM, Scott Coutts wrote:

Hello list,

I'm thinking about alternatives to beeswax for waxing linen thread.
I've heard that one vegan bookbinder uses microcystalline wax.
However, I'd quite like to avoid petroleum products, so I'm thinking
about plant-derived substances. I used to play the cello and used
rosin on my bows - I'd be interested to know if anyone has any
experience or opinions on using this in bookbinding, or has some ideas
for alternatives.

Many thanks,
Susan

Hi Susan,

Is it a moral or environmental objection to petroleum products? Because most waxes are basically the same, when it comes down to what they actual do and what's in them.

Cheers,

Scott.