FW: wheat starch paste, methyl cellulose, and pest deterrents

To post, please send your messages to Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note that only plain-text messages are acceptable to listserv.

p.

From: Hannelore [mailto:Hannelore@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 9:20 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: wheat starch paste, methyl cellulose, and pest deterrents

Hello.

I'm a novice bookbinder and have many, many questions. So, you might be
hearing more from me.

My question is about wheat starch paste. I'm going to make my paste from
scratch but am confused about the recipe. Is it necessary to add methyl
cellulose to the mix? If so, why? And how much?

I've also been advised that in order to deter pests from eating the paste
(i.e. the finished book cover), that I should add a few drops of glycerine
or alcohol to the paste. Is this right? And if so, is there a proportion for
this, too?

Many thanks,

Hannelore Sotzek