Re: Beeswax Alternatives

As a one-upon-a-time handspinner I am always aware of the twist of the thread. Most of the time it is the same, but on rare occasion it's necessary to change "routine" and rotate my fingers differently. Doesn't happen often, probably because the spool doesn't change very often.

I always thought that waxing thread was done to help control it, since linen knots wickedly. Although I've asked binders over the years, no one has had a good answer for me (except that it helps control the kinking of the thread). Maybe it has some archival purpose... ? Friction has never been a problem for me.

My favorite bookcloth has always been polished (or unpolished) buckram, a heavy-ish linen weave. Color choice has always been limited, and now it's even hard to find good buckram for some reason. Joanna Mills stopped making it about twenty years ago, and with the decline in textile mills in this country, new sources seemed to be few. Some years ago LBS began to market a "Conservation Buckram" in a limited color range, and it was lovely to work with. However, LBS now has changed their minimum order requirements, according to a local colleague.

Otherwise, my favorites have included the Japanese rayons, which are available in a rainbow of colors, are elegant, and for the most part are pretty durable. Also forgiving to some extent, and easy to work with. I don't remember using Canapetta, but from what Jake said yesterday in his post about it, I should have.

Not sure I understand what you mean about recasing. Are you speaking of NEW cases, rebacking, or ??? I use different bookcloths, depending on what I am doing.

Carol
Eugene, OR
-----