Re: [BKARTS] searching high and low

In Don Etherington's dictionary of book conservation terms (see
http://cool-palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html), throw up is defined as
follows:

"The rising up or buckling of the spine of a book when it is opened. It is a
characteristic of the HOLLOW BACK , and because of it the leaves lie flatter
than they ordinarily would. "Throw up" is especially important in library
binding, where the sewing, which is usually oversewing, is relatively tight
and inflexible. See also:SPRING-BACK (1)."

This implies that the term actually applies to the rising of the spine in an
upward curve when a hollow is present or the book is flat backed.  There
does not seem to be a defined term for the curving wave of the pages up out
of the gutter and then down to the foredge.

Regards,
--
John MacKrell
CIMdata - The Global Leader in PLM Consulting