[BKARTS] Upcoming Classes - Evanston, Illinois

We have a new website, and some new class offerings in Evanston. Check us out at www.evanstonprintandpaper.com

We've also got photos of upcoming workshops and from workshops past.

These are our April/May offerings:

Intro to Artists’ Books

with Jen Thomas

Tuesdays, April 7th – May 12th

7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

$241.00

In this class students will be introduced to several basic book structures and image transfer techniques that they can build upon to create their own artists’ books. Students will be encouraged to view the book as a conceptual space and create an artists’ book every week to fully explore the medium. Leave any preconceived notions at the door. No previous bookbinding experience is necessary.

Limit 8 students

Altered Books & Found Art

with Jen Thomas

Sunday, April 19th

10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

$72.00 (+$20.00 materials fee)

Have a book or two on your shelf you know you’ll know you’ll never read again? Someone give you a biography of Warren G. Harding even your library won’t take in donation? Well, it can have a new life, a new meaning, a new purpose if you bring it to Altered Books Class. Jen will guide you through techniques that will make your book a stage for your art. You will sew, glue, paint, cut and draw your books to a whole new incarnation, as well as explore found objects that can be repurposed into new artist book creations.

Limit 8 students

Letterpress Garden Party

with Stacey Stern

Saturday, May 9th

1:00 – 4:00

$80.00 ($100.00 to personalize)

Spring will come. Flowers will bloom. We’re so sure, we’re going to make letterpress note cards to celebrate the arrival of the flower season. Come create your own unique stationery with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press (www.steraclepress.com). With her letterpress expertise and design magic, Stacey will help you create unique ephemera that’s all the buzz.

Limit 8 students

Three Non-Adhesive Bindings

with Juliayn Coleman

Saturday, May 9th

10:00 – 5:00

$150 (+$25.00 materials fee)

Let’s go back, shall we? Back to a time when everything was made better and things worked the way they should. A time when books were sewn through the fold, and peace and harmony reigned through Alexander’s empire. In this class, we shall go back to that time, not just to satisfy our nostalgic impulses, but to learn some pretty cool methods for making books that have heartily laughed in the face of time. They are still ideal structures for photo albums, portfolios, journals, family memoirs, and chapbooks. Open to all skill levels.

Limit 10 students

Intro to Digital Letterpress

with Stacey Stern

Thursdays, May 21st – July 23rd

7:00 – 10:00 p.m.

$385.00 (+$25.00)

In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them. Stacey will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the press. You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks, register plates, and print. In the early sessions, Stacey will discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates. There will be time to work on either your own or a group project.

Limit 6 participants