Re: [BKARTS] Tyvek Tales

Ugh...Tyvek in the Book Arts and Archival?  Here in the Mid-Atlantic when a
good N'or East'r or Sou' West'r blow across the region the havoc they reek
from higher than average tides to severe wind damage can be catastrophic.

I've seen the Tyvek on many a new and relatively new home that had been
deshingled from the storm torn to shreds underneath.

But you've got to figure...with the sun's heat beating down on either tar or
tyvek over time one's gonna dry out and crumble as it does and the other's
bound to bio-degrade as it was meant to.

A book will not be subjected to the same harsh conditions that a house
might, direct sunlight being a major factor in the deterioration of Tyvek
and plastics woven like it.

I had an old C&P Printer sitting in my backyard waiting for someone to come
and pick the thing up, and I covered it in a Tyvek like tarp material, the
sun baked the thing and made it brittle in no time flat and it did nothing
to protect the C&P underneath.

Therefore, I think I speak from some experience not only in having taken
courses in human conservation in college, as in survival of the species
against the elements of nature, I've dealt with the mess that Tyvek and its
ilk are, fine for some things as long as they are in a protected
environment, but as for covering a house or a usable book in the stuff, I
just wouldn't.  The entropy curve on Tyvek is too steep.

John
Bookbinder
And Conservationist in more ways than one.