Re: [BKARTS] Thanks for the tyvek discussion!

I would guess the Newberry Library is using Mylar or a similar polyester film for encapsulation of fragile paper materials.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Heather Marie Kosur
Illinois State University
Milner Library
Processing/Conservation
Campus Box 8900
201 North School Street
Normal, Illinois 61790-8900
(309) 438-5941
hmkosur@xxxxxxxxx

Quoting Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I forwarded that note on to my science-art group and received this in
response:
"Tyvek has been proposed as a suitable material for specimen labels in
natural history collections.  A post on the subject appeared just two
days ago on NHCOLL-L."

So there are continuing questions about the long-term feasibility of
this material.

I know the Newberry Library uses a particular kind of plastic to
encapsulate fragile materials. Anyone know what that material might be?

I appreciate the discussion!

Kathy Marie Garness

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

-------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using Illinois State University Webmail.