Re: [BKARTS] Thanks for the tyvek discussion!

As long as the Tyvek is going to be used under controlled circumstances and
situations, I would suppose it would last, but as I noted earlier, from the
contractor's perspective the "J" curve of entropy is pretty steep where
Tyvek is concerned.

But then again as in Tyvek's place on construction, if any of us had to sit
between wood and plastic shingle 24/7 in all conditions, any of us or any
book would rapidly deteriorate as well.

It's a fact, heat lamps in the lab cannot replicate changing climatic
conditions such as how hot the sun beats down on a piece of Tyvek on any
particular day such as to be its breaking point.  But once bottomed out it
is obvious that Tyvek hits a point of no return.

I just hope that these people who invest time and money, will not be
disappointed or blamed when the problem of Tyvek becomes future generation's
concern, and they have to deal with it.

Nothing is 100% permanent but we keep looking, don't we?  Even gold and
platinum succumb to corrosion and wear.

That is why the Conservator's Job is a given, entropy ensures that there
will always be books and artifacts in need of repair.

John Miller
Bookbinder and Conservator