Re: [BKARTS] Tyvek Tales

It's at moments lke this that we need a polymer chemist as a contributor to this list. (An adhesives chemist would be a welcome addition too, considering all the discussion about the archival qualitites of various adhesives.) What chemically is Tyvek?

Incline Press wrote:

I'm always aware of a propensity for believing urban myths, but also
inclined to believe the personal experience of the contractors, so long as
this is not so far removed as to become considered hearsay.

Perhaps to nail this, could someone in the US ask exactly what the map was
printed on, and then post here.

Graham Moss

Incline Press
36 Bow Street
Oldham OL1 1SJ  England

http://www.inclinepress.com

Two tyvek tales:

1. I listened with horror to friends, who are general contractors, as
they discussed finding disintegrating tyvek inside the walls of homes
built less than twenty years ago. They said they found tyvek sheeting
in the walls of homes they were renovating in tattered shreds. They
are returning to using good old tar paper for their own  work as a
result.

2. A USGS map from REI, that has been on our wall for under four
years, recently crumbled into a zillion pieces and fell right off the
wall. It had been printed out from their in-store on-demand machines
on a tyvek-like material, though I am uncertain exactly what that
material is. To their credit, REI refunded in full. I asked about
printing out on paper instead, but this option is not available. (Yikes.)

So, what of tyvek and the book arts? I understand some tyvek is sold
as "archival," and that this has to do with the various coatings on
the tyvek. And, this is what I have been using. But... now I really
wonder about tyvek. Can we rest assured about the longevity of this
material? Or am I nuts to use it in books I would not want to fall
apart in the near future? I really do love how it takes color and have
enjoyed using it for end sheets and other purposes, too.

Any thoughts out there?