Re: [BKARTS] art with color laser printer

Hi Elsa,
I use our larger digital press and the office's laser printer / copier
to print black text on cover materials for swatch books.  I've also
experimented a little with color images with some success but had no
need to continue.  Generally, if I can get it to feed through the
machine it prints.  Coated cottons like Arrestox B-Cloth, Pearl Linen,
and Buckram seem to print the best although Kennett, uncoated starch
filled cotton, seems to print fairly well too...and it makes the office
smell like toast.

Woven rayons, while beautiful on books, don't seem to accept toner very
well and the heat sometimes alters the color and makes the material
curl.

I've heard of people printing on cotton Cambric material for use as an
insert but I don't believe that would be a suitable cover material since
it's not backfilled or paperbacked.

Things to look for while printing include ghost images that can appear
as the printer heats up and durability of the print.  I usually scratch
the print every so many pages to make sure it's adhering well.  You may
also need to feed the material manually and guide it as it exits the
printer to prevent the material from wrinkling.  I have to do this when
using our office printer - I suspect because I'm unable to adjust the
speed and heat settings like you can on the larger digital press.

Good luck!  I hope this helps!
Kristine

Kristine Aubrey
LBS Sales Support / Marketing