From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Bradley, Allen
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:36 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Throw up and Tyvek

Someone posted a link to "The Movement of the Book Spine" from
aic.stanford.edu which was very interesting and certainly academic.  Pete
Jermann does a great job with this subject at
http://www.temperproductions.com/Bookbinding%20How-to/Reflections/Reflection
s%203%20-%20Spine%20Control.pdf .  In this essay, he talks a lot about using
Tyvek to control the spine.  I did some experiments supplementing my regular
spine cloth and stiffener using Tyvek and found, as promised, it would
create a nice curve while lacking the "memory lines" and delimitation of
card layers.  See my test results at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080838@N03/sets/72157616462775842/

My personal thoughts on Tyvek is that it is VERY strong and is designed to
last a long time.  If your house was recently constructed, chances are there
is a layer of Tyvek used to protect it from moisture.  Since not all types
of Tyvek except glue, and some kinds (like the Fedex envelopes) easily
delaminate, I used the 2 inch tape meant for sealing around windows and
stuff like that.  Tyvek doesn't crease (i.e. it compresses & expands) and
will always try to return to its original position and the adhesive is
permanent.

ab