Re: [BKARTS] Throw up and Tyvek

Let's try this again...

I have some concerns about the use of Tyvek in some of the more stressful
applications. Primarily this centers on Tyvek splitting internally. What I
had thought using it for was as a replacement for the paper connecting strip
(usually and 80lb text paper like dove gray/Mohawk/...) on vellum bindings.
What I found was that the vellum stuck great but that with flexing at the
hinge tended to split internally, not tear, creating hollow spots. This can
also seen simply be folding Tyvek back on itself and rolling... Note, this
was using USPS Priority Mail envelopes... In the end I found that I got
better results using paper. Had not tested with different kinds, but just
might.

That said, I have seen Tyvek applied well for many conservation purposes.
One just needs to know their materials and how they are used/react.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>