Re: [BKARTS] A Queer An alysis of Artists' B ooks ‏

Am I alone in finding this offensive? Further, he states that he is seeking literature to support his ideas and theory. Perhaps I have been laboring under the misguided idea that research was done to discover truth, not to support a preconceived notion. Maybe it's just me.

Sally Jackson

On Apr 8, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Michael Carosone wrote:

My name is Michael Carosone, and I am a student in the master's degree program in library and information science at the Palmer School of Library and Information Science of Long Island University (LIU). I am taking all of my classes at LIU's Manhattan site, which is New York University's (NYU) Bobst Library.

I am taking a class, "Artists' Books"; the professor is Dr. Constance Woo. For the class, I am writing a research paper on the relationship between artists' books, queer book artists, queer book arts, queer theory, queer studies, and the queer community (queer = Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender; GLBTQ).

Where can I find literature on my topic, in order to support my ideas and theory? Are there any essays, articles, books out there? I have done some research, but have not been successful. I want to write on how, both, artists' books, as an art form, is marginalized, and how the queer community is marginalized, which may be a reason as to why queer artists make artists' books. I want to do a queer reading and analysis of artists' books. I want to apply queer theory to artists' books. And I want to discover what happens when artists' books and queer theory and the queer community come together: the intersection. I am also interested in knowing if there is anything "queer" about artists' books. Maybe even start a queer discourse on artists' books.

Can you help me with any advice, suggestions, information, etc? I appreciate your help. I would also like to include your thoughts in my paper, giving you credit, of course. Can you answer some questions (below)? I appreciate your time.

1. Is there a relationship between artists' books and the queer community? Whether yes or no, please, explain.
2. Is there a queer sensibility to artists' books? Explain.
3. Is there a queer history in artists' books? Explain.
4. Can you think of any other questions that I should ask?

Thank you,
Michael Carosone

_________________________________________________________________
Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet Explorer 8.
http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx? ocid=B037MSN55C0701A

***********************************************

Please note that attachments to listserv messages are not permitted,
            and are automatically removed by the listserver.

For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.

[CoOL]

Search BookArts Archives

This page last changed: May 19, 2009