Re: [BKARTS] A Queer An alysis of Artists' B ooks ‏

I don't understand what could possibly be construed as offensive here. Queer
theory is a valid and established mode of critical theory. Perhaps the bit
about artists' books being marginalized is indelicately stated, but there
have been plenty of other researchers who have asked almost the exact same
question about the feminist practice of artists' books. It is fairly well
established at this point that, historically, various groups at the fringe
of mainstream culture have employed the creation and dissemination of artist
books, zines, and other texts as a mode for expressing their ideas while
evading the hegemony of mainstream publishing practices.

This individual appears to simply be putting out a sincere call for help
getting pointed in the direction of accessing some artists' books published
by and/or concerning the LGBT community, getting the names of some artists
and some titles that he otherwise may never have a manner of finding out
about; he's appealing to the collective wisdom of the bookarts community to
find out the who, how, and when of LGBT issues intersecting with artists'
books. I doubt he's actually trying to put the hypothesis before the horse,
as it were, as some of you seem to be interpreting it. He's just looking for
a jumping-off point. I'm personally excited to see someone applying queer
theory to the book arts--this is new and interesting.

Michael, I'm also a student (I had Constance's course last year), so my
breadth of knowledge of artist's book history is still burgeoning, but I
will dig into my own files and see what I can find. I can tell you off the
top of my head that the recent CBA exhibition "Artists' Books as Subculture"
had several queer publications, LTTR, a lesbian zine, and another gay zine
from I believe the '80s whose title I cannot recall. Here's hoping that this
list-serv will provide some further leads.

Best of luck,
Jennifer