Re: [BKARTS] A Queer An alysis of Artists' Books ?

It is no more offensive than patrons coming to our medical library
looking for articles that say all gays are left-handed; or are more
prone to some disease.  It's a serious question and we search
the professional medical/healthcare databases for articles.
Some sociological databases may be a good place to start
a search, looking for trends of gays.  I'd avoid Google.  Get
your reference librarian at your library to help choose the proper
databases to search.  They are a wealth of information and
guidance in finding research results.
Teri Lynn Herbert

> [...]
> What do you find so objectionable?  I for one (as a queer person) was
> about to respond to Mr. Carosone and commend him for taking on a
> research project such as this -- I'm very excited by the notion of the
> artist book as a vehicle for personal exploration with respect to
> LGBTQ identity, as well as the notion of marginalization, however
> realized.  I plan to think on this a bit more, but as a newbie book
> artist I'm more interested in others' thoughts.
>
> Thanks for your thought-provoking post, Michael!  Look forward to
> seeing what comes out of this.
>
> Best,
> Cynthia
>

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Sally Jackson wrote:
>
>> Am I alone in finding this  offensive? Further, he states that he is
>> seeking literature to support his ideas and theory. Perhaps I have
>> been laboring under the misguided idea that research was done to
>> discover truth, not to support a preconceived notion. Maybe it's
>> just me.
>>
>> Sally Jackson
>>
>> On Apr 8, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Michael Carosone wrote:
>>
>>> My name is Michael Carosone, and I am a student in the master's
>>> degree program in library and information science at the Palmer
>>> School of Library and Information Science of Long Island University
>>> (LIU).  I am taking all of my classes at LIU's Manhattan site,
>>> which is New York University's (NYU) Bobst Library.
>>>
>>> I am taking a class, "Artists' Books"; the professor is Dr.
>>> Constance Woo.  For the class, I am writing a research paper on the
>>> relationship between artists' books, queer book artists, queer book
>>> arts, queer theory, queer studies, and the queer community (queer =
>>> Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender; GLBTQ).
>>>
>>> Where can I find literature on my topic, in order to support my
>>> ideas and theory?  Are there any essays, articles, books out
>>> there?  I have done some research, but have not been successful.  I
>>> want to write on how, both, artists' books, as an art form, is
>>> marginalized, and how the queer community is marginalized, which
>>> may be a reason as to why queer artists make artists' books.  I
>>> want to do a queer reading and analysis of artists' books.  I want
>>> to apply queer theory to artists' books.  And I want to discover
>>> what happens when artists' books and queer theory and the queer
>>> community come together: the intersection.  I am also interested in
>>> knowing if there is anything "queer" about artists' books.  Maybe
>>> even start a queer discourse on artists' books.
>>>
>>> Can you help me with any advice, suggestions, information, etc?  I
>>> appreciate your help.  I would also like to include your thoughts
>>> in my paper, giving you credit, of course.  Can you answer some
>>> questions (below)?  I appreciate your time.
>>>
>>> 1. Is there a relationship between artists' books and the queer
>>> community?  Whether yes or no, please, explain.
>>> 2. Is there a queer sensibility to artists' books?  Explain.
>>> 3. Is there a queer history in artists' books?  Explain.