Re: [BKARTS] A Queer An alysis of Artists' B ooks ‏

Queer theory (about which I am not at all an expert, please pardon me if I
misstate something)  holds among other things that the view of society from
the marginal status and perspective that queer people inhabit has something
of value to offer as an alternate point of view. Often a critique, other
times an enriching way of looking at things. Considering the marginalization
of artist books as an art form through the tool of queer theory seems like
an interesting project.

I am quite curious to hear from other book artists, whether queer or not,
comments on whether you agree with the starting point of this discussion,
that artist books are a marginalized art form.  If so -- or if not -- how
does that show up in your experience in the book arts?  And, if they are
marginalized, why so?

As someone who identifies as queer and has only recently identified myself
as an artist, this question is producing interesting food for thought about
how I choose my own ways of communicating through art.

Rachel Silber