From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael
Carosone
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:01 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] A Queer An alysis of Artists' B ooks‏

My name is Michael Carosone, and I am a student in the master's degree
program in library and information science at the Palmer School of Library
and Information Science of Long Island University (LIU).  I am taking all of
my classes at LIU's Manhattan site, which is New York University's (NYU)
Bobst Library.

I am taking a class, "Artists' Books"; the professor is Dr. Constance Woo.
For the class, I am writing a research paper on the relationship between
artists' books, queer book artists, queer book arts, queer theory, queer
studies, and the queer community (queer = Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and
Transgender; GLBTQ).

Where can I find literature on my topic, in order to support my ideas and
theory?  Are there any essays, articles, books out there?  I have done some
research, but have not been successful.  I want to write on how, both,
artists' books, as an art form, is marginalized, and how the queer community
is marginalized, which may be a reason as to why queer artists make artists'
books.  I want to do a queer reading and analysis of artists' books.  I want
to apply queer theory to artists' books.  And I want to discover what
happens when artists' books and queer theory and the queer community come
together: the intersection.  I am also interested in knowing if there is
anything "queer" about artists' books.  Maybe even start a queer discourse
on artists' books.

Can you help me with any advice, suggestions, information, etc?  I
appreciate your help.  I would also like to include your thoughts in my
paper, giving you credit, of course.  Can you answer some questions (below)?
I appreciate your time.

1. Is there a relationship between artists' books and the queer community?
Whether yes or no, please, explain.
2. Is there a queer sensibility to artists' books?  Explain.
3. Is there a queer history in artists' books?  Explain.
4. Can you think of any other questions that I should ask?

Thank you,
Michael Carosone

Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet
Explorer 8.
http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx?ocid=B037MSN
55C0701A