[BKARTS] ideas for Michael

Dear Michael,

What an interesting topic! I can’t add anything as far as queer book arts,
I'm afraid, but your post reminds me that both Walter Benjamin and Stephane
Mallarme gave us some deliberately sexualized images of reading, often in
terms of the need to “penetrate” a new (uncut) book with a paper knife in
order to read it, while Benjamin famously compared books to prostitutes in
his “Number 13” -- perhaps these would be of secondary theoretical interest
for your project in their expression of a dominant male-identified actor
exerting sexualized dominance and/or violence against a passive
female-identified subject? Also, check out Yury Olesha’s short story “I Look
Into the Past” - a very Freudian reading of, well, reading. Sigizmund
Krzhizhanovsky’s short story “The Bookmark” (just translated into English in
a prize-winning collection by Joanne Turnbull) also has a short passage
dealing with books as bodies, although in a different context.

Good luck with your research,

Dr. Anne O. Fisher