[BKARTS] protecting books in the tropics

I would appreciate information on preserving books in a damp, insect heavy environment.  I live in a rain forest area of Panama and have been assisting the small, local library in repairing their books.  The books have all of the problems that would be typical to this environment including fungus, mold, insects, deteriorating paper, etc.  Any information that anyone could offer regarding how best to prevent/or minimize damage, and measures to take to repair the books as much as possible would be very helpful to me.  Please keep in mind with any suggestions that it isn't easy to find materials, chemicals, tools here so the more basic the better.  The library doesn't have the funds to replace books and relies mainly on donations of used books for their library stock.  I have been astonished at some of the books they have put aside for repair.  Thank you so much for any help that you can give me.
Christine Trexel