To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 7:23 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Bravo, Peter! A rookie's view of a senseless "debate"

Book folks: I signed on to this list to learn from the observations, musings and exchanges of book-related masters, practitioners and enthusiasts. Indeed, I generally have been pleased with, learned from (although my sewing fingers lag behind) and been encouraged by the postings I've read over the past month or so -- even to the extent I'm emboldened, almost, to pose a neophyte's question or two. (OK, since you insist, here's one: How did perfect binding come to be called "perfect"?) But the current atmosphere has me perplexed. An aspiring writer/researcher asks a question in good faith. A firestorm of conflicting opinions and rants ensues, almost to the exclusion of other more pertinent matters. Why? To what end? Homosexuality engages everyone, with no exceptions I'm aware of, at some level. Up, down, sideways, it doesn't matter. But why shouild that have anything to do with the project at hand? Again as a newcomer, I encourage us to to return to what matters, in my view, and what ought to be occupying our time: The art, craft and history of the book. Thanks for listening. And thanks to Peter V. for serving as our grownup. Peter Engbretson PS: As a lapsed sociologist, I would encourage the gentleman who unintentionally initiated this broohaha to enroll in a class or two on research methodology as he pursues his thesis. I, for one, would like to read what he comes up with. As most of us understand, marginality is hardly a unimportant issue in any sphere of life.