Re: [BKARTS] what's happened to this group?

It's called "splitting," and it's a tactic well-known to teachers and shrinks.
Student uses the sense of responsibility of the teacher or the list
member ("I need help with this project!") to draw us in, and pretty soon we've
all been "exposed" and we're all at each others' throats, which is the real
payoff. I had to smile when even Michael couldn't keep his own scorecard
straight as to who was a "homophobe" and who wasn't.

Strictly amateur stuff; most of us engage in splitting in small, harmless ways,
but it can get nasty sometimes if the splitter is desperate enough, especially
for a teacher who after all has a professional responsibility towards his/her
students. Every few years I get a panicked call from a department
chair because one of my students has accused me of
homophobia/antisemitism/communism/sexism/racism/etc. Then we talk about
it. Then we have a good laugh. Then we go back to doing our jobs as best we
know how, not to mention admiring the sunrise...

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language