Re: [BKARTS] Book Cloth Recommendation Sought

In "The New Bookbinder" journal of the Designer Bookbinders Volume 7 (1987),
Sam Ellenport, President of the Harcourt Bindery, contributed an article
(pp. 9-18) titled "Book-Edge Decoration: a Brief Survey". He discusses foil
transfer on pp. 27-28 and illustrates (illus. #3) a binding by Philip Smith
using gold and palladium with added acrylic painting.

Smith mentions palladium in the description of plate 32 in his "New
Directions...", but I am unable to find it mentioned in "...Art & Object".

Perhaps of interest, in illus. #6 Ellenport illustrates treatment by Daniel
Kelm. It shows an edge treated with alternating gold and graphite (section
edges, I believe).

Finally, quoting Ellenport: "In regard to innovative techniques, mention
should be made of Richard Barnes of Philadelphia, who has been experimenting
with foil transfer onto book edges. He has been working with a heated roller
device similar to that developed by the Harcourt Bindery for edge gilding.
Foil manufacturers make an enormous number of strangely decorated foils
which have been developed for decorating plastic objects; these are readily
available on the market though they are not supplied to binders unless
specifically asked for as they are not usually associated with binding. Edge
decoration with such foils is now possible and has an untapped potential."

Alan Shalette