From: Jet Foncannon <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:54:09 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Book Cloth Recommendation Sought

   I have done much gilding in copper, bronze, metallic green, red, violet (really nice!), and even metallic black.  I have also on occasion used holographic metallic foils and silver psychedelic foils for special effects.  (I recently bound a copy of the Psychedelic Reader using a psychedelic silver foil.) I saw once a book published in Australia which was gilded in black, and thought it was very cool.  I have since gilded books that way.  Among the foils I like are those made by Malahide, which have a rather high application temperature, but they are especially thick, and seldom leave any bald spots when applied.     I recently bound for a customer a Pennsylvania Regimental History in deep logan green leather with an Onyx font lettering and I used a brass metallic foil gilding.  The effect was, if I may say so, spectacular. The customer thought so too.

Melanie von Gunten wrote:

> To: everyone on the book arts list
>
> I work in a Book manufacturing and publishing company.  I am a part of the team that designs our fine leatherbound editions books. I'm regularly looking for new and different materials to use for our speciality ediiton books.  I right now am in search of different ways to gild the books.  Currently we can do both gold and silver gilding.    I'm looking for anyone who has successfully gilded in other colors i.e. copper or bronze or anyother foil color.
> Any information as to foils or methods to do this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.  (You can write to me on or off the list.  )
>
> Melanie
>
> Melanie von GuntenBridge Publications, Inc. melanievg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 that attachments to listserv messages are not permitted,           and are automatically removed by the listserver.                                    For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.        See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.                                               ***********************************************