Re: [BKARTS] good leather substitue for calf

I've gotten assurances about the availability of Kangaroo, but they've led to nothing. What I am looking for are US distributors who sell the brightly colored Kangaroo leathers (logan green, scarlet, etc) that were formerly available at Hollanders. If anyone can give me any leads, I would be grateful.
Aside from being a wonderful product to bind books with, Kangaroo leather's lack of graininess nakes it the best product I've found for doing onlays.

David Amstell wrote:

Indeed you can. It is readily available.

David

-----Original Message----- From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jet Foncannon Sent: 19 April 2009 9:55 AM To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [BKARTS] good leather substitue for calf

Kangaroo is the best, totally, but you can't get it.

Melanie von Gunten wrote:

Dear Joycelyn,

I have found this leather very similar to Calf and takes blind and foil

stamping very well.

Melanie

Melanie von Gunten Bridge Publications

http://www.harmatan.co.uk/leathers/zaragoza.html

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:23:08 -0500, J. Merchant wrote

Hello-

I want to bind a book with a leather which resembles dark calf, but I don't want to use calf. Is there some good substitute for calf? I was thinking maybe kangaroo???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Archive.

See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information. ***********************************************

--
Filter4: This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

Melanie von Gunten Bridge Publications 4751 Fountain Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90029 (323)953-3320

Please note that attachments to

listserv messages are not permitted,