Re: [BKARTS] Secret Belgian Binding question

I've done quite a few books using both methods, and I've taught them, too. I personally get a better result when I put the case together first, although sewing in the signatures one-by-one can be a little tricky. It helps if you don't pull the thread tight until after you complete the stitching on each signature (i.e. don't tighten after each stitch -- leave slack in the thread until you finish sewing each signature). But when you do tighten the stitching on each signature, it's important to make sure it's good and tight before proceeding to the next signature.

It's easier to teach the method with the text block sewn first, and most of my bookbinding friends prefer it. The end result can be a little "wobbly," though, so I don't like the result as much. If you try this method, I've found using "tapes" of thin mylar under the text block stitching works well -- the mylar is easier to pull out than other materials (like Tyvek) after you sew on the covers and spine, and you're not as likely to puncture it with your needle and accidentally sew it, too.

This is just my experience... I hope it helps.

Mary Jane