Re: [BKARTS] Thailand, Tyvek, Blizzard Books & trimming on responses

Sally,

Thanks for this. I did order the instructions from Green Chair Press. They came within 5 minutes. It takes time to respond to requests, and at $5 paypal takes a chunk to process the order, so she's not making much money on her effort to do draw the instructions. And I have two pages. I do have the Penland book and all this made me drag it out and look at it again. It's a marvel of information but if all you want is the blizzard book instructions better to get them on line.

As for editing, try wiping the part you wish to remove and hit delete.

Michele

Speaking of Hedi Kyle and blizzard book instructions, it is indeed
unfortunate that Hedi, who is a perfectly wonderful person, has not always
been credited with creating the blizzard book. I myself learned how to make
the book (and a nifty cover Hedi teaches) from instructions that used to be
posted in the "projects" section of the Yastutomo web site with no credit at
all to Hedi for the idea. (Apparently they have removed them; I looked for
them to send in response to the initial request for instructions.) The
YouTube video is another book form, so I think at this point the best
sources for instructions are the Penland book and the Green Chair Press
site. In fairness to Green Chair Press, under US copyright law, an idea
(e.g., how to make a blizzard book) is not copyrightable, though
instructions are copyrightable. And Susan Angebranndt clearly credits the
idea of the blizzard book to Hedi.

My experience with Hedi as a workshop instructor is that she is wonderfully
well organized and generous with her ideas, but she is more interested in
developing new ideas than she is in writing up instructions about how to
implement those ideas. Quite simply, I think that Hedi, wonderful as she is,
does not like to write up instructions. In the workshop I took with her,
rather than instructions for one project, she gave us photos someone had
taken as she folded the item in a previous workshop. In fact, when I saw the
Penland book I was amused to see that the Lark editors included pictures of
her folding the blizzard book, rather than instructions drawn amd written by
her. Moreover, though it is well known that Hedi came up with the flag book
form, I've never seen any instructions by her, though I've seen many
instructions on how to make a flag book by others. That fact should show us
(if we did not already know from experience) that writing up clear
instructions is not all that easy and deserves to be rewarded even if the
instructions are for a design the instruction-writer did not originate. So I
think that, rather than being criticized, Susan deserves some credit for
making available instructions on how to make the blizzard book. And even
with Susan's instructions, one does not get all the information that one
gets in a workshop with Hedi.