[BKARTS] Origin of Gilt Page Edges

Hello -
I was wondering about the origin of gilt page edges. When did they begin, and where, as far as bibliographers know? I have always considered them an 18th c. innovation, but I certainly have no evidence for that. I would be happy to be corrected.

Regards,
Gene Alloway
Motte & Bailey Booksellers
212 N. 4th Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734.669.0451
www.mottebooks.com
New articles several times a week at our blog
www.bookmansfolly.com