[BKARTS] Dark spots on fair leather, Hewit dyes general question

Does anyone have any ideas about why fair leathers produce tiny dark spots
when wetted out, or how to avoid or minimize this? I am working with a fair
(undyed) vegetable- tanned goatskin from Siegel's of California, trying to
dye it a sunny yellow with Hewit dyes, but dark spots have appeared after
wetting out the leather. There is a photo here (you shouldn't need a flickr
account to see it, hopefully):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26801123@N06/3483760948/

Thanks for any advice or input. I think I'll be moving to a darker color for
now, which has prompted another question for me: some of my Hewit dyes, such
as the mid blue, are not dissolving well. I used about a teaspoon of dye in
a couple tablespoons of water, put it all in a small lidded jar, and have
been shaking it quite vigorously, but there are many dark crystals which are
not dissolving. Any ideas? I have looked around a bit in the list archives,
but have not seen anything answering these questions.

Thanks,
Juliayn

--
regular updates at...