Re: [BKARTS] Dark spots on fair leather, Hewit dyes general question

Hi Juliayn,
I would check directly with Siegel's. They are usually very helpful and
answer any questions I have very quickly. They have an 800 number.
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Juliayn Coleman wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas about why fair leathers produce tiny dark spots
when wetted out, or how to avoid or minimize this? I am working with a fair
(undyed) vegetable- tanned goatskin from Siegel's of California, trying to
dye it a sunny yellow with Hewit dyes, but dark spots have appeared after
wetting out the leather. There is a photo here (you shouldn't need a flickr
account to see it, hopefully):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26801123@N06/3483760948/

Thanks for any advice or input. I think I'll be moving to a darker color for now, which has prompted another question for me: some of my Hewit dyes, such as the mid blue, are not dissolving well. I used about a teaspoon of dye in a couple tablespoons of water, put it all in a small lidded jar, and have been shaking it quite vigorously, but there are many dark crystals which are not dissolving. Any ideas? I have looked around a bit in the list archives, but have not seen anything answering these questions.

Thanks,
Juliayn