Re: [BKARTS] Dark spots on fair leather, Hewit dyes general question

Dear Juliayn,

The comments of Peter Geraty and Richard Minsky are both valid, and we would concur that the spotting is caused by 'iron stain'.

As far as mixing Hewit dyes are concerned, we would recommend the following:

To prepare a solution from the powder, a small quantity should be made into a paste with cold water, then boiling water added until the required dilution is obtained. If the solution is too concentrated, a "Bronze" effect will result.

If this does not solve your problem, a drop of washing-up liquid or IMS methalayted spirts (I think you call it ethanol) added to the solution will do the trip. If you do not have IMS, then vodka or gin will do!

kind regards,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.
sales@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.hewit.com
Mobile: 07947 754842
Voice Mail: +44 (0) 1280 709701
Skype Name: davidlanning

Edinburgh Numbers
Tel: +44 (0) 131 449 2206
Fax: +44 (0) 131 451 5081

Registered Office: Kinauld Leather Works, Currie, Edinburgh, EH14 5RS - Registered in Scotland No SC16424