Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 28 Apr 2009 to 29 Apr 2009 (#2009-120)

Just out of curiosity, I did a google search "tyvek 1059B." Most of the links that came up appeared to indicate that Tyvek 1059B is used for medical packaging. There was one link to a listserve for backpackers so I looked into that. A fellow posted with photos about his use of Tyvek 1059B to make his own backpack. You might try and contact him to see where he gets his Tyvek. I am interested in this because I use Tyvek in mixed media techniques. Considering what I do to Tyvek (I have no idea what version of the material it is because I buy it in either a light weight or heavier weight version). I also have a resource for purchasing Tyvek through a kite-making supply company - Tyvek is widely used for making modern-day kites - where you can buy it buy the yard, I think. Let me know if you would like this resource. Perhaps that company knows more about 1059B?
Judith in nyc - Tyvek update
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:55:00 -0700
>From:    Andie Thrams <andiethrams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Tyvek update
>
>I had hoped to be able to report back with some new and helpful info
>on tyvek, but it is surprisingly difficult to find much specific info
>about the different tyveks being sold out there. The DuPont site is
>FULL of many, many different types of tyvek. Only one type is noted
>as being appropriate for "archival" purposes (whatever that may
>mean), and that is #1059B. This seems to be because it does not have
>any coatings. But, I have not yet found anyone who actually carries
>this type. University Products, who responded very quickly to my
>questions, let me know they are looking into carrying #1059B. But,
>most the suppliers I have asked either don't actually know what type
>of tyvek they are selling or have not been able to give me clear
>information on what type they sell, or whether their tyvek has any
>coatings. The product numbers listed by most suppliers do not
>correspond with the DuPont tyvek product numbers... it is
>surprisingly wacky trying to figure this out.
>
>So. I am really thinking about how much I appreciate lovely paper...
>
>I will let the list know if I find anything else out about tyvek.
>
>Andie Thrams

>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:06:41 -0700
>From:    Jen McQ <mcqjen@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Late Coptic Bookbinding with Shanna Leino at Shakerag
>
>At Shakerag (Sewanee, TN) www.shakerag.org
>

>Shanna
>Leino
>June 14-20, 2009
>Late Coptic Bookbinding
>Course
>
>Focusing on book production practiced in
>Egypt during the seventh to
>eleventh centuries, participants will each build a book with laminated
>papyrus boards, covered in elaborately worked leather.  We
>will blind tool, punch, pierce, lace, and stitch the leather before
>covering the book. A peg and strap closure will be fashioned from bone
>or brass and leather.  The range of textures, handwork
>techniques, and the feel and weight of the completed book are what make
>this structure particularly unique and exquisite!
>

>Artist Biography:
>
>Shanna works out of her studio in
>Harrisville, New Hampshire.  Her
>studio work is focused on integrating historic binding methods into new
>book forms, and at the moment she is focused on creating small books
>with covers of carved bone. She also produces simple hand tools for
>book binders and craftspeople. Shanna has taught workshops for Columbia
>College Center for Book and Paper Arts,
>Wells Book Arts Summer Institute, The Center for Book Arts, and Penland
>School of Crafts.
>
>Late Coptic Binding workshop at Shakerag in Sewanee, TN. For more information: www.shakerag.org

> [...]

Judith Stadler
www.judithstadler.blogspot.com
Always do what you are afraid to do.
      Ralph Waldo Emerson
There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
      George Santayana"