[BKARTS] Artist Talk May 6th with Roni Gross

Roni Gross: Zitouna at 20
New Featured Artist Project at The Center for Book Arts

New York City - The Center for Book Arts is pleased to present the Featured
Artist Project exhibition Roni Gross: Zitouna at 20. Gross's limited edition
objects in a variety of forms and media will be on display at The Center for
Book Arts Gallery from April 15 to June 27, 2009. An artist talk with Roni
Gross will be held at the Center on Wednesday, May 6, 2009, at 6:30 pm.

Zitouna (meaning "olive" in Arabic) is the press founded by Gross in 1989 to
produce mailable artwork in observance of Halloween and Valentine's Day. The
objects featured in the exhibit employ various media from letterpress,
offset to Xerox printing, and incorporate photography, watercolor and
collage to explore both traditional and invented forms. The more than 30
pieces on display in the gallery both investigate and subvert the
traditions, folklore and language associated with these two holidays.

According to Gross, "I chose Halloween and Valentine's Day because they are
intimately connected with human relationships, allowing a personal context
to emerge. At the same time, there's an opportunity to infer a bigger story
because of the universal themes of love and death embedded in these
holidays. In terms of content, I enjoy tweaking our associations with these
holidays and extending the definition of what we usually think of as
'ephemera'."

Also on display at The Center for Book Arts are the main gallery exhibition
\'flō\: art, text, and new media, and the Featured Artist Project Spotlight:
2008 Artists-in-Residence.

Artist Talk and Reception with Roni Gross
Wednesday, May 6, at 6:30pm
Suggested admission: $10/$5 members.

The Center for Book Arts
28 West 27th Street
(between 6th Avenue and Broadway)
Manhattan
(212) 481-0295
www.centerforbookarts.org

Gallery Hours
Monday - Friday: 10am-6pm
Saturday: 10am-4pm
Sunday: closed

Exhibitions on view through June 27, 2009.

Sarah Nicholls
Program Manager
The Center for Book Arts
28 W. 27th Street 3rd floor