[BKARTS] Upcoming workshops in May at the Center for Book Arts

Greetings from the Center for Book Arts:

Please join us this month for one of our upcoming workshops. There's still
room in some of our weekend classes, including the following:

Sound & Light

How would you like to make an electric book with special effect devices?
This course devotes two days to making books with Direct Current (DC)
electricity.  Students will learn how to install batteries, buzzers, light
bulbs, and micro-switches, as well as the fundamentals of electricity and
the techniques of wiring, soldering, and attaching miniature parts to book
covers or text blocks in a hardcover book.  You will wire one or, time
permitting, two books during this weekend course.  Some bookbinding
experience is recommended but not required.

May 16-17, 10am - 4pm, Saturday and Sunday, 10am - 4pm Hooshang Partovi

$245 members /$260 non-members plus $35 materials fee

The Origins of Color

 Many color names hint at the color's origins. Sienna is earth from the area
of Sienna, Italy. Sap green really does contain sap. Burnt umber really is
heated. During this workshop we will learn the basic processes for making
traditional pigments. We will levigate earth, grind malachite stones, make
colors from vegetable sources, and precipitate lakes. Once the colors are
made we will use our pigments to make paint and ink. After taking this
workshop you will never look at a tube of paint or ink in the same way! You
may even find yourself gathering natural materials for pigments on your next
vacation.

May 16-17, Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 4pm Karen Gorst

$245 members /$260 non-members

Letterpress Poster Design

Students will receive an overview of letterpress poster history, including a
review of historic and modern poster design, the use of wood and lead type,
and the incorporation of other print methods including stenciling. Students
will design and print a group poster project. If time allows, students will
continue with individual projects.

Basic typesetting and familiarity with cylinder presses required.

May 30-31, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm                     Sarah
McCarry

 $245 members / $260 non-members

 Registration is ongoing: you can register online, see class pictures,
descriptions and more at www.centerforbookarts.org/classes

Sarah Nicholls
Program Manager
The Center for Book Arts