  From: "Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord"
  To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Tyvek update
  Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 15:10:57 -0400

  Andie

  I bought 8.5 x 11 sheets of tyvek last spring from Material
  Concepts in Philadelphia. They also have rolls. I used it for two
  outdoor projects, both involving hanging strips of tyvek from
  trees. I did a PoeTree Project with kids and they wrote short
  poems on them and an art installation with lines from John
  Greenleaf Whittier. Both times sharpie marker was used for the
  writing. Some of my test samples are still on a tree in my yard
  and still holding up well. The writing did not hold up as well
  when I used sumi ink with a brush.

  Material Concepts
  http://www.materialconcepts.com

  The PoeTree Project
  http://makingbookswithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/04/poetree-project.html

  Whispered Fragments (Whittier project)
  http://ingoodspirit.blogspot.com/2008/09/outdoor-sculpture-at-maudslay-state.html

  in good spirit
  Susan

  On Apr 28, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Andie Thrams wrote:

  > I had hoped to be able to report back with some new and helpful
  > info on tyvek, but it is surprisingly difficult to find much
  > specific info about the different tyveks being sold out there.
  > The DuPont site is FULL of many, many different types of tyvek.
  > Only one type is noted as being appropriate for "archival"
  > purposes (whatever that may mean), and that is #1059B. This
  > seems to be because it does not have any coatings. But, I have
  > not yet found anyone who actually carries this type. University
  > Products, who responded very quickly to my questions, let me
  > know they are looking into carrying #1059B. But, most the
  > suppliers I have asked either don't actually know what type of
  > tyvek they are selling or have not been able to give me clear
  > information on what type they sell, or whether their tyvek has
  > any coatings. The product numbers listed by most suppliers do not
  > correspond with the DuPont tyvek product numbers... it is
  > surprisingly wacky trying to figure this out.
  >
  > So. I am really thinking about how much I appreciate lovely
  paper...

  > I will let the list know if I find anything else out about tyvek.
  >
  > Andie Thrams

  > questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
  > See for full information.

  Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
  skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  http://www.makingbooks.com