[BKARTS] Kurt Vonnegut on the book

Dear Friends

The recent discussion of the cartoon Peter posted and Twitter and the fate of the book reminded me of this passage from Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake:

...My grandchildren are already doing much of their reading from words projected on the face of a video screen.
Please, please, please wait just a minute!
At the time of their invention, books were devices as crassly practical for storing and transmitting language, albeit fabricated from scarcely modified substances found in forest and field and animals, as the latest Silicon Valley miracles. But by accident, not by cunning calculation, books, because of their weight and texture, and because of their sweetly token resistance to manipulation, involve our hands and eyes, and then our minds and souls, in a spiritual adventure I would be very sorry for my grandchildren not to know about.

How I came to read Timequake is directly related to my explorations online. In searching for quotes about art, I found this one by Vonnegut:

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit.

When I continued my search to find out what book it came from I was led to the book which I read twice and loved.

in good spirit
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.makingbooks.com