Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 29 Apr 2009 to 30 Apr 2009 (#2009-121)

Yes, isn't it odd, that this type of tyvek is for "medical" packaging? I think it is because it has no coatings, and this is also why it is considered more "archival." I have ordered a small quantity to test and will report back on what I think of it... I still don't know what the REI maps that crumbled were printed on, and I remain curious and concerned about tyvek's longevity--but I do like working with it.

Andie

On Apr 30, 2009, at 9:00 PM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

Date:    Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:40:10 -0400
From:    Judith Stadler <judibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 28 Apr 2009 to 29 Apr 2009 (#2009-120)

Just out of curiosity, I did a google search "tyvek 1059B." Most of the lin=
ks that came up appeared to indicate that Tyvek 1059B is used for medical p=
ackaging. There was one link to a listserve for backpackers so I looked int=
o that. A fellow posted with photos about his use of Tyvek 1059B to make hi=
s own backpack. You might try and contact him to see where he gets his Tyve=
k. I am interested in this because I use Tyvek in mixed media techniques. C=
onsidering what I do to Tyvek (I have no idea what version of the material =
it is because I buy it in either a light weight or heavier weight version).=
I also have a resource for purchasing Tyvek through a kite-making supply c=
ompany - Tyvek is widely used for making modern-day kites - where you can b=
uy it buy the yard, I think. Let me know if you would like this resource. P=
erhaps that company knows more about 1059B?
Judith in nyc - Tyvek update=20