[BKARTS] Flip Books

For more information on flipbooks, there is a great web site by Frenchman
Pascal Fouché that provides the history and multiple examples of flipbooks
at

www.flipbook.info  (you can view the website in either English or French).

Based on information from Fouche?s website and my own contacts with
contemporary book artists who use flip books, I wrote an article on
flipbooks in the Ampersand Journal in Winter 2007 (volume 24, No. 2)  See
http://www.greenchairpress.com/amp.cgi

Debbie Kogan

Soquel, CA

Response to:

Brian Herschler [briankh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Dear Artisans and Interested Parties (and Dramatists),

I am searching for yet another term. Your last collective giving was of
tremendous help--thank you--and I didn't even need the French term for drape
et al. (though I'm still curious--any takers?)

What are the terms (I'm learning that there may be more than one!) for the
type of book that presents to your eye an animation if you let the pages
flip rapidly past your thumb and look as the (sadly all-

too-short) whiz goes by. I've also seen it not only as a dedicated (but
small) book, but as printed in the upper or lower corner of a full sized
book (usually for children, but not always). What would that be called as
well?

I look forward to your responses, and thank you in advance.

Brian Herschler

Nanzan University, Nagoya, Japan

Writer