Re: [BKARTS] Fungicide

I was told in a mold-abatement seminar some years ago to wipe with plain rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl, 30% water). Or if water was an issue for the material, to choose isopropyl alone. I don't know if there have been tests done on this. The water in rubbing alcohol is/ was thought to swell the spores, and the alcohol kills them.

Ethanol is effective, in that it will kill spores and active mold. However, if exposed to damp conditions again, the mildew-mold will recur with greater speed than before. Ethanol is not particularly healthy to breath.

Nothing much will kill ALL the spores, so keeping the treated item dry and clean and etc. continues to be important.

Isopropyl is not considered to be especially hazardous to the user, although as with any chemical, some care should be taken.

Carol
Eugene, OR