Re: [BKARTS] Fungicide

Greetings,

We initially asked the question concerning the Encyl. Brit. antifungal
problem.  We wish to use a water-based fungicide, rather than an oil-based
one, and we are waiting to see what feedback comes from the List in this
regard.

We have been using tea tree oil in Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) for many years.
In the early days, when testing for effective concentrations of TT Oil to
use in our adhesive solutions, we found that some mould was still growing,
so we increased the concentration of the TT Oil.  Since then, we have had no
failures whatsoever.  Jet, try increasing your concentration.  If you read
up on TT Oil, you will read that it is a natural fungicide, and our
experience is that it is not a weak fungicide.  It works in our synthetic
adhesives, our paste formulae, and in our numerous water based dye solutions
which we have had for years.  The dye solutions are particularly prone to
mould growth.  Now with the TT Oil as a fungicide, we get no growths
whatsoever.

Adhesive Chemist.  Our adhesive chemist makes synthetic adhesives to our
formulations, making them archival and suitable for use with photographs and
so on.  We have discussed the matter of fungicides with them in depth.  The
chemist we discuss these matters with, has been in the business since the
1950s, and knows his chemistry well.  For what it's worth, and as an aside,
his factory stopped making PVA formulations for his customers many years
ago, advising that although PVA is used throughout industry, it is in fact a
primitive chemistry.  He explained this to us from a molecular perspective.
For synthetic adhesives, he wholly and solely uses EVAs.  To continue:  in
all his formulas he uses the Busan range of fungicides.  Our local tannery
also uses the Busan range in their tanning processes.  Indeed, Busan  is
toxic, as any fungicide with any strength is likely to be.  The recommended
concentration of Busan is in the order of 0.0002%  - 200 parts per million -
2/10th of a millilitre per litre of liquid.  We have some Busan 30WB here,
and we may use it - we haven't decided yet.

Even the cosmetic industry uses fungicides extensively.  We also have these
here, but, they are a little weak, as they have to be when used on ladies'
skin!

Carol is correct:  the literature suggests ethanol or such alcohols as IPA
as being good and safe substances to kill fungi spores.

Leonard is also correct when suggesting Thymol, which is a mild fungicide.
Our experience, however, is that it is not quite strong enough for
industrial formulations of adhesives, or at least it doesn't last for
extended periods of time.  Whereas, our TT Oil / IPA mix does not need
refreshing even after 5 or even 10 years.

So, one is tempted to use some of the industrial strength fungicides.
However, when using a fungicide on the outer cover of books, which will be
handled, one has to be careful.  In such cases, a product might be used to
kill the spores, and then it should be wiped off.  Thus, the spores may grow
again.  So, the environment is important here.  We suggest to customers that
if the environment is prone to fungi, they might consider a dehumidifier and
well as the use of fungicides.

We are not chemists, and most of the above has been put into practice from
what we have read, surmised, heard about, or been told by chemists.  If
there are any experts on the List to indicate otherwise, we stand corrected
immediately.

David.