[BKARTS] Brittle leather

I have an old leather back cover that I would like to attach on a repaired book that now has new leather back - at least some part of it as a title label.

However the old leather (1910) is very thin and "soaked" with some kind of glue that makes it extremely brittle when dry - almost like an eggshell.
When it is moistened it becomes flexible and can be handled, though very carefully.

It seems like I ought to get rid of the glue., but I don't know how to deal with this.

--
rgds
Erik Haagensen