Re: [BKARTS] Brittle leather

Many years ago, I was working on some leather bound books that had been near a fire. The books were being rebacked, but some of the original leather was hard and brittle, similar to your situation. Lacking the necessary chemicals that might have worked, I went to the local shoe repair shop. The repairman told me about "Cavalier Shoe Stretch" made by Kiwi Brands Company, a shoe polish manufacturer here in the US. The proprietary chemical is used on "All types of leather..." products that have shrunk and are too tight. The shoe repairman said that the "Shoe Stretch" will soften the leather on sports balls, i.e. soccer balls and footballs. If you can find a similar product in your country, it may do the job as it worked for me.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter

From: Book_Arts-L [BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erik Haagensen
Subject: [BKARTS] Brittle leather

I have an old leather back cover that I would
like to attach on a repaired book that now has
new leather back - at least some part of it as a title label.

However the old leather (1910) is very thin and
"soaked" with some kind of glue that makes it
extremely brittle when dry - almost like an eggshell.
When it is moistened it becomes flexible and can
be handled, though very carefully.

It seems like I ought to get rid of the glue.,
but I don't know how to deal with this.

--
rgds
Erik Haagensen