[BKARTS] Replies to list

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system <
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Date:    Sun, 10 May 2009 10:09:30 -0400
> From:    "Peter D. Verheyen" <verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Replies to list
>
> PLEASE remove/reduce the amount of quoted materials in your replies
> to list postings. It is getting to be a bit much and I don't want to
> have to start editing messages...
>
> Thanks for your cooperation.
>
> p.

I'm very much with Peter on this one as I get the digest and find myself
reading through a LOT of stuff from earlier digests. I'm also sympathetic
because of how long it has taken me to get this comment sent.

I started out by hitting "reply" and cutting off everything but Peter's
post. And then, I wanted urge everyone to check out how their mail program
handles replies so they can avoid accidentally including more from the
incoming e mail (e.g., an entire digest) when they reply. And then I went on
to describe my personal experience.

I used to have my Book Arts list coming to an AOL address, which made it
easy for me to avoid sending back lots of stuff in replies, because AOL, by
default, includes the e mail one is replying to only if one highlights it
before hitting "reply." Now I'm using gmail  which, by default, seems to
include everything in the incoming e mail -- and maybe (an ad for) the
kitchen sink too. So I have to do more work to limit quoted materials -- at
least until I figure out an easier way to do it.

Then I tried to send the message and discovered that I couldn't figure out
how to both address a reply and make the topic re the specific post, rather
than the digest. So finally, I'm writing this as a fresh rather than a reply
e mail.

I'm not sure if I'm a klutz with g mail or I have found a program feature
where AOL is superior to Google; but my point is that with so many people
using so many different e mail programs and services these days, we may all
need to put in a little extra thought and effort to reduce the amount of
quoted materials. But it is worth it -- both to save Peter any extra work,
and as a courtesy to others on the list.

Best regards,

Sally Canzoneri