[BKARTS] repairing a lacquer album

Hi,
Is there anyone in our group who has repaired a black lacquered photo album?
I am fine with sewing and attaching a new set of black p[ages into it but the client would like me to touch up the black lacquered cover as well. There are not only a couple of large bubble but also large chips where the cedar backing is showing through as well. Can I just paint these with wood lacquer?
I was also thinking of injecting klucell G into the bubbles to solidify them - has anyone else ever done that?
The boards have been bent over the years so much that the inside endpapers have actually buckled but I am not even going to try and straighten the boards since I assume they will crack.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4